Here are some things that I have done that are cheap and healthy for those special occasions, like Valentine’s Day.
- Pink potatoes and gravy It’s as easy as adding a small amount of red food coloring to the potatoes and preferably chicken or turkey gravy
- Raspberry Chicken Marinate chicken breast with some raspberry preserves overnight. Grill or pan fry the chicken and then top with a few fresh raspberries.
- Valentine’s carrots Slice carrots and then use a knife to cut the carrots into fun shapes like hearts, X’s, and O’s
- Valentine’s Salad Turn an ordinary salad into a great salad by adding sliced strawberries cut width-wise to make them look like hearts.
- Heart cupcakes Take a pink sheet cake and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make shapes and then decorate with pink icing.
I’ve used this as a great Valentine’s meal.
For healthy, fun recipes for kids, this is one of my favorite posts: https://modernlatinamommy.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/healthy-valentines-day-treats-for-toddlers/
post by Chef Ken, Food and Care Coalition staff